Principles of Computing
The new Next Level Programs of Study (NLPS) Principles of Computing course provides students the opportunity to explore how computers can be used in a wide variety of settings. The course will begin by exploring trends of computing and the necessary skills to implement information systems. Topics include operating systems, database technology, cybersecurity, cloud implementations and other concepts associated with applying the principles of good information management to the organization. Students will also have the opportunity to utilize basic programming skills to develop scripts designed to solve problems. Students will learn about algorithms, logic development and flowcharting.
Code.org’s CS Principles course covers the majority of topics and requirements necessary for this class. This 6-hour professional learning opportunity will be offered throughout the school year to ensure that schools and teachers are meeting all of the standards in the Principles of Computing course framework.
- Recommended Grade(s): 9, 10, 11
- Required Prerequisites: none
- Recommended Prerequisites: Introduction to Computer Science; Completed or Co-Enrolled in Algebra I
- Credits: 2 semester course, 2 semesters required, 1 credit per semester, 2 credits maximum
- Counts as a directed elective or elective for all diplomas
For more information on how to implement the computer science related pathways in the Next Level Programs of Study, Nextech has created this Pathways Suggestions document to help guide you and answer some common questions we receive about the new NLPS requirements.
Note: This information is taken directly from the NLPS website and is subject to change at any time. Nextech will make necessary updates whenever we are made aware of changes to the content.
Eligibility and Pre-Requisites
This workshop is for high school teachers committed to teaching the Principles of Computing (7183) course using Code.org’s CS Principles curriculum in the 2023-24 school year. Teachers attending this workshop need to have attended a Nextech CS Principles professional learning program in the past.
- Length: 6 hours, over 2 sessions
- Location: Virtual zoom
- Cost to Participate: $0
- Stipend: None
- Tuesday, August 22 AND Thursday, August 24, 6:00PM – 8:00PM ET
- Thursday, September 7 AND Tuesday, September 12, 6:00PM – 8:00PM ET