6-8 Professional Development
Nextech is excited to help bring computer science to 6-8 students throughout the state of Indiana through exciting and innovative 1-day professional development workshops. These programs are designed for inservice teachers who are being asked to teach the Indiana computer science standards and are either unfamiliar with the content or unsure of what to do next.
At Nextech, our goal is to remove every single barrier to teaching computer science for teachers, schools, and districts. Because of this, all of our programs are offered at no cost to schools/districts.
The following are the VIRTUAL professional opportunities available:
Designed for middle school educators teaching across all subjects, the Integrating Computer Science professional development workshop is designed to equip teachers with the knowledge and instructional strategies to integrate computer science into existing coursework.
The topics covered in each workshop include:
- Role of Computer Science in society and the classroom
- Indiana Computer Science Standards, including where to locate the standards and how to navigate the curriculum map
- Introduction to the 5 core concepts of CS: Data and Information, Computing Devices and Systems, Programs and Algorithms, Networking and Communications and Impact and Culture
- Experiencing classroom lessons for each core concept
These virtual workshops are offered in different ways, some are a single day, and some are spread out over multiple days. All workshops will have two 2-hour zoom meetings with approximately 2 hours of asynchronous work to complete in between. The workshop will provide an intro to computer science, pedagogy, overview of the online curriculum, teacher dashboard, and strategies for teaching “unplugged” classroom activities.
Eligibility and Pre-Requisites
This workshop is for 6-8 Computer Science Teachers, Media/Library Specialists, Resource/Tech Teachers, and General Education classroom teachers.
- Length: Workshops are offered in different ways, some are a single day, and some are spread out over multiple days. All workshops will have two 2-hour zoom meetings with approximately 2-4 hours of asynchronous work to complete in between.
- Cost: $0
- Dates: More coming in Fall 2021