We are committed to make sure that all young people in Indiana – regardless of family income or social background – have exposure to computer science and access to computer science education. Our dedication to equity will change the face of the technology workforce of the future.
Our Pledge to Equitable Access
- Establish a “Techquity Council” with teachers and students from various backgrounds across Indiana to provide guidance to ensure equity stays at the forefront of all work;
- Explore partnerships with community organizations that serve diverse communities, share our values and are racially inclusive;
- Actively work with school districts with higher concentrations of students from marginalized racial and ethnic groups underrepresented in computer science to educate administrators on computer science, the benefits associated with implementing a CS curriculum and how we can help drive student participation;
- Educate parents and guardians on the benefits of computer science, available resources and Nextech’s new and current programs;
- Feature a diverse group of tech professional speakers within our student programs to build a stronger and more inclusive tech community;
- Institute a new Professional Development course for educators entitled “Strategies for Effective and Inclusive CS Teaching”; and
- Be an ally.
Launched in December 2020, the Nextech Techquity Council is a body of Indiana schoolteachers and high school students from diverse social, economic and geographic backgrounds who are committed to advancing computer science education in our state, and eager to guide our organization’s efforts to foster a diverse and inclusive tech sector in Indiana.
This group advises on Nextech programming and initiatives, with teachers serving two-year terms and students a one-year term. In addition, Nextech Techquity Council members will inform Nextech’s efforts as a leader in tech diversity – letting us know whenever we fall short of the pro-inclusivity, anti-bias ideals we seek to uphold and advance in our own work.