Saying Goodbye to 2016
December 29th, 2016
As 2016 comes to a close, the Nextech team is looking back on some of our favorite moments taking computer science education to K-12 classrooms across Indiana. Of all the moments we loved this year, these 16 topped our list:
- Hoosiers scored big, and Nextech celebrated accordingly, when computer science was added to Indiana’s K-8 science standards.
- Nextech and Junior Achievement of Central Indiana were awarded funds from IDWD as part of the Skill UP Indiana! grant program to catapult tech careers.
- The Nextech team spent six weeks connecting our first Catapult cohort to educators, innovative nonprofits, tech enthusiasts…and each other. See the highlights.
- Nextech went to D.C. to connect with like-minded organizations at the White House and discuss the current state of K-12 CS education.
- The Nextech team teed off with some of our favorite friends at Plum Creek Golf Club during the second annual Nextech Golf Outing.
- We hosted our inaugural Friends of Nextech breakfast, serving up our current impact and vision for the future with a side of eggs and bacon.
- President Karen Jung and Board Member Jennifer Oliskew chatted with Gerry Dick on Inside Indiana Business about how Catapult is making a difference for students and Lilly’s involvement.
- We can’t forget Karen’s gracious acceptance speech after being honored for her confidence by the Girls Scouts of Central Indiana during the Lt. Governor’s Leadership Luncheon.
- Speaking of recognitions, Karen also received a 2016 Leading Light Award for her leadership from Women and HiTech.
- Nextech started a new chapter and moved into our new office at the Speak Easy Downtown!
- We went back to school with 70 educators, equipping them with the knowledge, tools and confidence to teach computer science courses at 34 Indiana schools this year.
- Nextech joined 300 other organizations as a member of the CSforAll Consortium, a bold new initiative to empower all K-12 students to learn computer science.
- Nextech celebrated CSEd Week in a big way: We partnered with AT&T Indiana and local schools to introduce nearly 600 students to coding. Be inspired by this highlight video.
- We participated in our first GivingTuesday campaign.
- We were selected for Brackets for Good 2017. Watch your Inbox, Twitter and Facebook for details.
- And, we were able to share our passion for CS and racing forward with our good friend JR Hildebrand, who generously sported the Nextech logo on his Indycar.